Gifted 'GIFT'.



   



Hello Friends,

             Its good to be back with you.....sharing my new painting with stages it passed through. I've always believed that " A GREAT PAINTING IS A MOMENT CAPTURED". " TO REALLY CAPTURE THE QUALITY OF A SUBJECT, YOU MUST HAVE A FEELING ABOUT IT BEYOND ITS LITERAL QUALITIES". I wonder why so many young artists here in Nigeria believe painting realistically is a "MECHANICAL ACT". Its very funny listening to most of these artists preach their gospel of ESCAPEEISM, believing you're creative as an artist only if you DISTORT REALITY. ....... I guess this observation of mine will be continued later.
              Here is my recent watercolour painting titled 'GIFT'. Its painted on a 200gm cold pressed Vangogh watercolour paper, 46cm x55cm and believe me, I had great fun painting her.
      STAGE ONE,






Since Watercolour is a delicate medium to handle, I do lots of planning before applying my colours. After a detailed drawing, I masked some areas to achieve my 'HIGHEST LIGHT'. For retaining a clean effect of light, I use masking Fluid and for granulated light effect, I use wax.

STAGE TWO,


After mapping of shapes and trapping of light, I applied my mid-tones. The application was stylishly controlled at the upper part, while the lower part was applied in a loosed form to create soft edges around the figure.


STAGE THREE,


In this stage, I used more of the dark values to fine-tune some areas in the painting. The effect of the wax I applied is seen on the upper part of the right leg....close to the knel. For the wax to have a stronger effect, more pressure is needed while applying it on the paper, but in this painting, I applied the wax with a lesser pressure to acheive my desired soft granulated effect.



Detail...



Here is a closer view, showing how soft and hard edges were used on her face.

My next post will also be a step by step approach .....to how I paint my landscapes in watercolour. Thanks for your time!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY WE CAN'T WAIT